In the 13th Century, the term 'Ruppin county' emerged. At the time, Count von Arnstein acquired the rights to rulethe Rhin River. Neuruppin was documented for the first time in 1238 as Rapin. Wichmann von Arnstein, a well-educated brother of the Count of Arnstein, founded the first branch monistary of the Dominicans here in 1246. Ten years later, the settlement received town rights and until around 1300, called itself Ruppin.
With the death of the last Count of Arnstein 1524, the government fell to the Elector of Brandenburg. During the reign of King Frederick Wilhelm I (1713-1740), the Prussian army greatly expanded and Neuruppin produced much of the cloth for their uniforms. As a result, the breweries here flourished. From 1732 to 1740, a regiment commanded by his son, the future Frederick II was stationed here. Thus Neuruppin developed into an offial city and a garrison town.
On August 26, 1787 a huge fire destroyed Neuruppin. Nearly the entire city lay in ruins. Amongst the few buildings that were spared were the preacher's widow house (1736), the infirmary chapel (1491), the Up-Hus (1692) and the monastery church of St. Trinity on the shore of the Ruppin lake - currently important landmarks in Neuruppin.
Frederick's successor, King Friedrich Wilhelm II, ordered the city rebuilt. The plans were designed by royal architect Bernhard Matthias Brasch with a generous system of the town filling a north-south axis connecting three huge spaces with each other. Almost 20 years later, with the dedication of the parish church in 1806, reconstruction was considered officially complete.
Much of the past is fondly preserved to this day. The temple of Apollo in the Amalthea Garden, built in 1735, was from the time Crown Prince Frederick (later Frederick II). The garden was designed after the oriental Moorish style, and the small summer villa and garden house greet the world with enthusiasm. In 1853, it became a jewel of the Gentz family.
Known worldwide are the Neuruppin tabloid newspapers, or broadsheets. Johann Bernhard Kühn began printing these hand-colored papers in 1810, and until 1937, the broadsheets were produced on only three different printers. Over the 125 years of production, approximately 20,000 different motifs were designed and distributed. The Neuruppin museum has one of the largest collections of these precursors to our modern magazines.
Two sons of the city are also known worldwide: Karl Friedrich Schinkel (1781-1841), the brilliant architect, and poet Theodor Fontane (1819-1898), who was born at the Lion Pharmacy (Löwen-Apotheke). Since 1952 Neuruppin has been the county seat and in 1998 it was awarded the title 'Fontanestadt' (Fontane's City).
Providing a rich and facinating history, idyllic lakes and the nearby 'Ruppiner Switzerland', Neuruppin and the surrounding area is a popular holiday destination. The city has 13 districts, which lie mostly on Lake Ruppin. Formerly independent communities, every one has its own local history, and all are a gem worth seeing. In 1993, with the incorporation of the town of Alt Ruppin and the surrounding villages, Neuruppin became the fifth largest city in Germany.